Friday, July 23, 2010

Oh Chevre...

Chevre is nothing short of wonderful. The name, the texture, the fact it sounds like a contented sigh in French--I can't praise it enough. Thus, the restaurant Ecco (on Cyprus and 7th) made my culinary dreams come true in one appetizer. Ok, perhaps not all of my dreams, but just this one: the combination of peppercorn, honey, and chevre (goat cheese) in marble-sized pieces. Perfection. Flash fried, rendering them warm with a slight crispiness, then drizzled with a local honey and be-speckled in black peppercorns. It may sound odd, but trust me, it's heavenly. If you don't believe me, I'll happily join you for a sampling.

Their wine list is overwhelming. They are to wine what Taco Mac is to beer, with ambiance and waitstaff corresponding to your expectations of the wine savvy. I'm half tempted to enter their employ temporarily just to learn all their servers have to know.

Visit expecting Midtown restaurant prices. Worth the once in awhile expenditure to me. I'd gladly take a little portion of excellent food for the same price as an abundance of the mediocre. You may disagree. Consider yourself both forewarned and encouraged to branch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment